Frequently Asked Weights and Measures Questions

Question: What organization is responsible for weights and measures standards and regulations in the U.S.?

Answer: The National Conference on Weights and Measures

Question: What agency is responsible for the enforcement of weights and measures law, standards, and regulations in my area?

Answer: Most states have weights and measures programs that are responsible for the entire state but many cities/counties have their own local programs. According to the U.S Chamber of Commerce local run programs are more effective, efficient, and responsive.

Question: Can the weights and measures program get my money back if I am overcharged?

Answer: No, you must seek reimbursement from the retailer. However, you may file a complaint with your Weights and Measures program.

Question: Are stores required to give me the item for free if they charge the wrong price?

Answer: No, stores are not required to give you the item for free, but some stores do.

Question: Is it possible to pump 20 gallons of fuel in a tank when the car's owner's manual states the tank capacity is 19 gallons?

Answer: The vehicle manufacturer's fuel tank capacity located in the owner's manual is an estimate. The tank may hold more or less than it states in the owner's manual. There are other factors that may have an impact (1) the slope of the ground where the vehicle is parked. Is the surface level? (2) the auto shut-off activation on the dispenser (3) the accuracy of your vehicle's fuel gauge.

Question: Does the Weights and Measures program controls the price of fuel?

Answer: No, they only regulate price posting, the accuracy, and the operation of the dispenser.

Question: Are fuel dispensers required to have approval seals?

Answer: Yes, all fuel dispensers and scales are required by law to have up-to-date accuracy approval seals prior to being placed in service. All devices are should be inspected periodically.

Question: What can I do if I have water in my vehicle's tank after refueling at a station?

Answer: Call the Petroleum Division in that state and file a complaint explaining the problem. The Petroleum Division of each state should check the station tanks for water in the fuel and report to you their findings. If there were damage to your vehicle follow up with the station management about payment for repairs along with the findings from the petroleum division if water was found and an estimate of repairs.

Question: Who is responsible for verifying the octane rating of fuel and fuel quality?

Answer: The Petroleum Division in your state.